“Night Rider” The ultimate in speed, comfort & style in a very safe, very stable electric assist commuter bike. – Call for Pricing -
EZgo-Now E-Bike Conversions are for local pick-up only at our shop in Carlisle, PA. Please call (717) 497-9917, email firstname.lastname@example.org or use any of the contact forms on our web-site to schedule an appointment or make a purchase.
“Night Rider” – 2011 Marrin Pioneer Trail 22″ Frame 26 x 2.0” Flat Resistant Kenda Kwick Roller Sport tires Suntour XCT forks & X-Lite MTB Suspension Seat Post 1000 Watt DD E-BikeKit & 48V 10Ah LiFeP04 Battery w/Charger Full LED Dash w/Cree XM-L LED Headlight & LED running lights Fender, Cargo Rack, Axiom Panniers, H.D. Rear Kickstand Smooth, Sharp, Fast, Safe & Convenient
QUESTIONS? Click here.
This latest project was a little different from most in that it would be for my use. It would be my transportation and a test platform for many the components I use & review. More importantly & most significantly, it would be Show Piece for promoting the EZgo-Now.com web-site & shop. This needed to look as if this was a high-end, factory – built E-Bike. Sleek, fast, fully functional, safe and practical for everyday commuter use. I dubbed this bike the “Night Rider” & it would be my every day ride.
The 2011 Marrin is a 21 speed MTB using Shimano a 14/34 7 Speed Shimano Gear Cluster and the Shimano trigger shifters. (2012 & newer Marrin’s are 24 spd.) It was a perfect match for the 14/28 7 Speed Shimano Gear Cluster that comes on the new 2013 E-BikeKits. The Marrin’s use of trigger shifters allowed me to use motorcycle style throttle. The rear rack is a modified double-decker rack from E-BikeKit.com. (4) 12V 10 Ah LiFeP04 Bamboo batteries from Clean Republic lay flat on a 1/8″ Luann ply wood deck on the lower section and the E-Bike Controller is on the underside of the deck. Since the sides of the batteries are exposed the otherwise good-looking natural bamboo batteries had to be finished with a buffed aluminum look using silver vinyl covering & black detailing tape. The weather proof controller is mounted on the underside of the rack to maximize the airflow around it. This is critical to the health of any controller.
Although this configuration puts the entire weight of the components at the rear, by mounting the batteries tight & low on the deck the weight is kept low & mostly above or in front of the rear axle. The Marrin’s frame geometry does an excellent job of distributing the rider’s weight from just above the front of the rear wheel to directly above the front wheel. Not only does this provide a person of my size with good initial weight distribution the Marrin’s roomy frame size allows for lots of rider adjustment or on-the-fly fine tuning with some body english. This weight distribution is also hugely beneficial in jumping obstacles like curbs, downed tree limbs, road kill, etc. Maneuvering your bike while dismounted is easier as well because even though it’s heavy as a bike goes, that rear weight bias coupled with the use of the rear brake allows you to stand you bike on its tail & spin it around any which way you’d like. It’s also great for dragging it;s self & you up any flight of steps or steep incline. The old argument that states “the weight of the e-bike kit should be evenly distributed by placing the batteries & the hub motor at opposite ends of the bike” doesn’t carry much weight with me.
Like most mountain bikes the Marrin Pioneer Trail comes with exactly what is needed to speed down that trail or through the brush, as fast as you can ride. Lights, mirrors, kickstands, gauges are all added weight. Consequently in order to change the Marrin “Pioneer Trail” explorer into Marrin the “Night Rider” ultra-commuter, it was necessary to add a few accessory items along with number of misc. brackets, paint, decal vinyl, fasteners, wire, electrical connectors, shrink tube & zip ties. From front to back the options list looks like this;
- Pair of “26 x 2.00 Kenda Kwick Roller Sport” $46 lined with anti-flat liners. The Bike Smiths EBay.com
- Pair of Anti-Flat “Slime Bicycle Tire Liners” $11 Amazon.com
- Front Fender “PROLINE FRONT XC CARBON” $33 with custom bracket, detailed w/ black vinyl.Amazon.com
- “Extreme LED Blinky” (CLEAR) from Planet Bike $16 set of 2 +s/h Fender mount w/custom bracket Amazon.com
- “Planet Bike Blinky adapter” $6 +s/h Amazon.com
- “Carbon Fiber Computer/Light Mount” for Extra Space $15 EBay.com
- “Bell DASHBOARD 100 12 Function Cyclocomputer“.$13 Amazon.com
- “NEW Cree XM-L T6 LED 1600-Lumens Bicycle Headlight” $26 w/ 6400mAh Bat. & 1600LM LED Amazon.com
- “Watts-Up WU100-B Meter” by R/C ELECTRONICS. $50 +s/h Painted black w/custom mounting bracket. Amazon.
- “Third Eye Bar End Bicycle Mirror“. $11 Amazon.com
- ” BICYCLE WATER BOTTLE CAGE” $7. Americas General Store Direct EBay.com
- “Aluminum Water Bottle” 28 ounce. $8 Americas General Store Direct EBay.com
- X-Lite “Mountain Bike Suspension/Shock Saddle/Seat Post” 26.8mm $28 EBay.com
- “Extreme LED RED blinky” from Planet Bike $16 set of 2 +s/h Seat mounted with custom bracket. Amazon.com
- “Planet Bike Blinky adapter” $6 Amazon.com
- “Rear Mountain Bike MTB Fender” $13 (1-set) painted black & detailed w/ vinyl with custom bracket. EBay.com
- “Rear Mount Oversize Kickstand” $17 by Greenfield SKS2BC (Black, 285mm) Amazon.com
- “Axiom Appalachian Rear panniers” 1,220 Cu. Inch. $34 Amazon.com
- Rear “BICYCLE & WALKING FLASHER safety light “. $4 Americas General Store Direct EBay.com
- Misc. brackets, fasteners, paint, shop supplies. $16
Bike & Primary E-Bike Conversion Components:
- (1) 2011 Marin Pioneer Trail 22″ 26″ Wheel Hardtail MTB. $350 delivered
- (4) “12v Bamboo Lithium LiFePO4 SLA Replacement Battery” $440 delivered – Clean Republic (USA)
- (1) LiFePO4 Smart Charger. $104 delivered – BatterySpace.com (USA)
- (1) 012 E-BikeKit w/013 Rear DD Hub Motor on 26″ rim $619 delivered – E-BikeKit.com (USA)
- (1) Double Rear Rack with new & modified mounting brackets. (discontinued) $24 delivered – E-BikeKit.com (USA)
- Night-Rider by EZgo-Now (Built using a dealer installed kit)
- Night-Rider – 011 Marrin Pioneer Trail w/E-BikeKit DD 500/1000W
- $2,106.00 – 48V 10 amp LiFeP04
- Watts-Up Power Meter & Bell Cyclocomputer
- 500 watt/1000 watt peak Direct Drive Hub Motor
- 26 mph Speed
- 25-30 Mile Distance
- 68 lbs. with all accessories installed.
THE OTHER BIKE:
- Prodeco V3 Outlaw SE 8 Speed Electric Bicycle
- $2,199.00 – 51.2V 9Ah LiFePO4
- Direct Drive 48V 750W Motor
- Dash-panel Display
- 20 mph Speed
- 25-30 Mile Distance
- 62 lbs.
Other quality e-bikes & kits: